Simple, no-fail homemade bath bombs.
Bath bombs are the ultimate luxurious treat. Throw a fizzy little sweet smelling ball of magic into a steamy hot bath and you instantly relax. But at upto $15 a pop, it’s a rare indulgence, right?
Nope. Not for you anymore, for you it’s a ‘whenever I want... hell, throw two in’ kind of thing. Because this is the recipe you’ve been looking for. A no-fail, five minute recipe that makes up to 15 bombs in whatever shape, scent, size you want.
Before I give you the keys to the bath bomb kingdom, there’s a few tricks you need to know. Get this right and you’re on easy street. Get it wrong and you’re left with a crumbly pile of prematurely fizzed mush.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together. They need to be evenly distributed.
- Mix the wet ingredients together, and add them to the dry SLOOOOWLY. Really slowly. Don’t rush this step.
- Oil your molds. You can use silicone muffin trays, cake ball trays, professional molds, anything you like but oiling it lightly helps the bombs slide out intact.
- Pack them hard. Use the back of a spoon and put some muscle into it. Loosely packed bombs will crumble every time.
- 1 cup bicarb
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup epsom salts
- 1 tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp cornflower
- 1 tbsp botanicals (OPTIONAL- dried lavender, loose leaf green tea etc)
- 2 tbsp oil (coconut, grapeseed, jojoba, tamanu...pick one that suits the purpose of the bomb.)
- 2 tbsp water or natural color like beetroot juice
- Essential Oils- Between 10-25 drops, depending on the purpose and type of oils. For kids bombs, 10 is plenty.
Whisk dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls then start adding the wet to the dry a few drops at a time, stirring and breaking up the lumps with a fork. As you get towards the last bit of liquid, grab a handful and squeeze. If it holds together easily, stop there. Pack tightly into oiled molds or muffin trays. Press harder. Looking good? Press again. Don’t be lazy here.
Let dry in the molds for up to an hour and slide them out. Store in an airtight container in a single layer, or separate with non stick paper.
Kids bombs look cute in shaped silicone muffin trays. Try different sizes and shapes! You can use practically anything as a mold.
Carrier Oil + Essential Oil Suggestions
Bath bombs can serve a higher purpose than just relaxation and oooooh fizzy. Take a minute and think. What do you want your bomb to do? Now craft your solution. Choose each ingredient purposefully. Supercharge your bombs into aromatic missiles. Make it yours.
Kids (up to 10 drops per batch) Coconut Oil, Lavender, Roman Chamomile & Orange EO’s. OR Jojoba Oil, Manuka, Ylang Ylang & Copaiba EO’s.
Grown-ups (up to 25 drops)
Skin Soothing: Tamanu Oil, Copaiba, Manuka, Frankincense & Rose EO’s.
Breakouts: Tamanu Oil, Tea Tree, Lavender, Lemon & Neem EO’s. Replace cornflower with bentonite clay. Easy on the tea tree & lemon if you value your lady garden.
Man Bomb: Coconut Oil, Orange, Cedarwood, Clove & Sandalwood EO’s.
Pure Indulgence: Jojoba Oil, Ylang Ylang, Rose, Geranium & Lemongrass EO’s, 1 tsp loose leaf green tea, 1 tsp dried rose petals, 1 tsp dried lemon myrtle leaves.
Post a pic of your creation in the comments, and tag a friend who loves bath bombs!